Tuesday 31 January 2012

Parrot and Tropical flowers




Guess who was having a play with her flower punches? 



1. It all started innocently enough - I printed off my Cheeky Parrot digi image, coloured it with Promarkers and decided to cut it out with my little Tonic Studios scissors. Then, as I looked at it I had the idea of making lots of tropical looking flowers and creating a "jungle" effect! Just as well, then that I kept the actual card white and didn't add any patterned paper!


2. Next, I decided to use my new Tonic Studios Shape Mate Starter Pack with the Oval shapes to create an aperture in the card front, so I used the smallest oval and cut around the outside.


3. I cut another piece of card to fit inside the front ie the same height but 1cm wider to allow for gluing and stuck it to the inside.



4. This time I cut an oval on the 2nd "page"to fit exactly inside the first oval but using the inside of the Shape Mate Oval template.

5. To make the "Tropical" leaves, I used the Tonic Studio Classic Heart punch, Craft Tacky Glue, turquoise card, a little green wire and a paper crimper.

6 .I added a little Craft Tacky Glue to the middle if the heart then folded it in half with the wire in the centre.
Pinch the heart tightly in the centre over the wire to keep it in place.

7. I fed the "leaf" through the crimper at an angle to create veins.

8. After a lot of punching flowers using the fabulous Petal Pairs, mini Daisy, Multi Detail Flower,
mini Snowflake. mini Flower head and mini Butterfly, I added some pen detail and a gem before adding the finished flowers to the different layers of the card.


A bit different for me but I hope you like it!


Challenges
My time to craft ...Adorable
Allsorts.. one or more hearts (I've used 3 to make leaves!)
Alphabet Challenge ...Zoo animals
Crafty Catz... things with wings

24 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card. So pretty. Loving it. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ruth, where to start.

    I really like to colour combo, all very complimentary, then the inset image is very effective, but the crowning glory is that spray of flowers, just so clever.

    Thank you for sharing it with us at Allsorts this week, so nice to have you join us.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card Ruth!i love the colours & image you have used, and the shape mate starter kit you have used looks brilliant!but i especially love the flowers ,so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! this is fabulous, thanks so much for the tutorial, which is so straightforward. A wonderful finished project. Thanks for sharing with us at Zoo Animals week at Alphabet challenge. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both different and very pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow...What a fabulous card Ruth! I LOVE it :) Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning card! Love the vibrant colours against the white and the fab flowers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning Ruth. How beautiful, the flower spray is gorgeous. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. so stunning ruth.i love the parrot and fabulous design and bright colours :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the layer, gorgeous colours, thanks for playing with us at the Alphabet Challenge, blessings Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card, love your aperatures, the cute parrot and gorgeous flowers. Thanks for sharing with us at MTTC this week.

    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks really good. Love the flowers, tey are my passion at the moment and I make alot with my punches. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally and utterfly beautiful and thank you so much for sharing ''how to'' nothing worse than not knowing how it's been achieved.

    Again, with thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh my beautiful card, thanks for sharing with CRAFTY CATZ x carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very beautiful card warming up the atmosphere-we have lots of snow and cold weather nowadays.I want to ask you something unusual:cold you become a member on my blog so I can always visit your easier .I am a true fan of you !!! Thank you and hug you !!
    aureliaeugenia

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely card and thanks for joining us this week at CRAFTY CATZ

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ruth, hope this finds you all well. I love this card, such lovely colours and makes a great tutorial, such talent you have there, lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you,I treasure your presence on my blog !
    hugs,aureliaeugenia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boy that really pops Ruth, gorgeous card, stunning colouring and thanks for the tutorial.
    Hugs
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely Stunning love that cheeky bird.x

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW, that is so kool and awesome,,, thanks for sharing... luv it ...
    Cheers ** Claudia W.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Ruth
    its really lovely card ,love a parrot xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you. Ruth